Gooey Triple Layer Chocolate Cake
I baked this very chocolatey and indulgent triple layer cake for my Dad’s 70th birthday and it was perfect for the occasion.
I wanted to create something special but also a cake that everyone in the family could enjoy. So I made it using gluten, dairy and soya free ingredients and nobody would have guessed. The sponge was moist and light and the icing was delightfully chocolatey and gooey. I really don’t think it’s possible to eat a piece of this cake without getting chocolatey icing all over your fingers. The kids had a field day!
The raspberries, strawberries and pomegranate seeds topped the cake off perfectly and gave it some colour, contrasting beautifully against the dark brown of the icing. The red fruit also made each mouthful indulgently different and interesting. Sprinkle with some cacao nibs and you have your perfect celebration cake!
Gluten free. Dairy free. Soya free.
For the cake
- 175g Dairy free margarine, softened. Plus extra for greasing
- 175g Muscovado sugar
- 3 Medium eggs
- 5ml Vanilla extract
- 150g Gluten free self raising flour
- 30g Dairy free dark chocolate powder
For the icing
- 300g Dairy free dark chocolate, chopped in to small pieces
- 60ml Golden Syrup
- 75g Dairy free margarine
- 150ml Almond milk
- A selection of red fruit. I used strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds.
- Cacao nibs
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line 3 sandwich tins.
- Place all the cake ingredients in to a large bowl and mix together until smooth.
- Divide the cake mixture in to the 3 tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden skewer, inserted in to the centre, comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
To make the chocolate icing
- Heat the chocolate and dairy free margarine in a saucepan until melted.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together until mixed and smooth.
- Leave the mixture until it starts becoming glossy and thickens slightly.
- Then using a spatula, spread evenly all over the cake.
- Wait until the icing is cooled and set
- Sprinkle your fruit and chocolate nib topping and decorate as you like.
If you love chocolate, why don’t you try my best ever chocolate brownies, they are seriously delicious!
HAVE A HAPPY TUMMY DAY ?