Traditional Rock Cakes
Traditional rock cakes for Mothers Day
My Mum is like to ‘rock’ to me and I so I thought I would make her a batch of traditional rock cakes to show how much she means to me and to our family.
I am hoping that she will enjoy these tasty traditional rock cakes especially when I give them to her accompanied by a beautiful bunch of Spring daffodils.
The great thing is, we are having a family gathering to celebrate this special day and everyone will be able to enjoy one of these delicious treats as they are gluten, dairy and soya free. They are best eaten on the day of making, which I have no doubt they will!
To all you yummy Mummys out there, I wish you a very happy Mother’s Day – I hope it’s filled with cakes and smiles!
Gluten free. Dairy free. Soya free.
- 225g gluten free self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g dairy free margarine
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100g mixed dried fruit (I used raisins and sultanas but you could also add dried cranberries, apricots
- 50g currants
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of dairy free milk (I used almond milk but you could also use rice milk)
- A sprinkle of demerara sugar to finish
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Lightly grease 2 baking trays.
- Measure the flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the margarine and rub the mixture with your finger tips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar and fruit.
- Add there egg and the milk until it forms a stiff mixture.
- Add more milk if required.
- Using 2 tea spoons scoop the mixture into 12 rough mounds on the prepared baking trays.
- Sprinkle with the demerera sugar.
- Pop the trays in the oven for about 15 minutes until a pale golden colour.
- Cool on a wire rack until ready to eat.
For another traditional cake bake recipe, why don’t you try these amazingly delicious syrupy flapjacks? Great for kid’s lunch boxes and my husband and I are partial to the odd one or two too! Just click here for the recipe.
HAVE A HAPPY TUMMY DAY ?