Nice and Nutty Porridge
There is something warming and comforting about a big bowl of creamy, nutritious porridge whatever the weather and especially when it’s cold, dark and rainy outside. It’s also a healthily delicious option when the sun is shining and it’s warm outside.
Porridge is filled with natural goodness, it’s high in fibre and the best thing is you can eat it at any time of the day. Mornings are typical, but I also enjoy a bowl as a snack or in the evening if I’m still hungry. It makes a perfect and satisfying choice for a quick fill me up.
The other wonderful thing about porridge is its versatility. Once you’ve made your delicious, steaming bowl of cooked oats, there is a huge selection of healthy delights you can sprinkle, drizzle, grate or mix in to make it even more wildly delicious. My boys love sprinkling all sorts of lovely brightly coloured berries and crunchy nuts over the top and little J is a massive fan of almond butter too.
This particular ensemble below involved firstly cooking the gluten free oats in almond milk and then topping off with some grated apple, goji berries, chia seeds and blueberries. A lovely spoonful of almond butter was then dolloped on to finish it off. I find sliced bananas, strawberries, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds and honey also work brilliantly well.
don’t forget if you’re not gluten free, then you can use normal oats. I prefer the organic kind but any type works just as well.
I would love to know how you eat yours, just message me using the comments box below.
Gluten free. Dairy free. Soya free.
- 40g gluten free, organic oats
- 1/2 pint almond / oat milk
- Choice of toppings
- 40g of gluten free / organic oats in a microwaveable bowl.
- 1/2 pint of almond/oat milk or you can use half milk, half water. I tend to stick to the milk if I am cooking porridge for the boys due to the calcium content.
- Stir the milk and oats together and pop in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Stir well and then return for a further 1-2 minutes. Timings will vary dependent on quantity and the wattage of your microwave so be prepared to tinker to get the perfect porridge.
- Leave to stand for a minute before sprinkling with your favourite toppings.
HAVE A HAPPY TUMMY DAY ?