Nourishing date, pecan and walnut loaf
<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/15520723/?claim=hpbbantshqu”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
This date, walnut and pecan loaf cake couldn’t be easier to make and is packed full of nourishing, healthy ingredients. It is also refined sugar free with its sweetness coming from the natural runny honey.<a
The walnuts and pecans give the cake a delightful crunch and is a great way to encourage little ones to eat and snack on nuts. Combined with the dates, this crunchy and moist loaf cake can be cut in to slices and spread with dairy free margarine making it a perfect healthy after-school snack or picnic treat.
It is also worth splitting the ingredients across two smaller loaf tins, baking two loaves and freezing one for a later date. I’ve done this numerous times and the cake taken from the freezer is always fresh and moist.
This date, pecan and walnut loaf cake also keeps well in an airtight container and is the healthier way to enjoy cake.
Gluten free. Dairy free. Soya free. Refined sugar free.
- 130g honey
- 550ml water
- 175 pitted dates, chopped
- 50g pecans, roughly chopped
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g plain gluten free flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Grated lemon zest
- Juice from one lemon.
- Put the honey, water, dates, walnuts and pecans in a saucepan and bring to the boil gently.
- Stir regularly and simmer for a few minutes until the liquid turns syrupy.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease a large 2lb loaf tin or two 1lb loaf tins.
- Take the cooled syrupy mixture and stir in the remaining ingredients until mixed together.
- Spoon in to a prepared large loaf tin and bake for 60-70 mins.
- If you are using the 2 smaller loaf tins, then bake for 40 minutes.
- You can test the cakes by inserting a wooden skewer and if it comes out clean they are baked through.
- Cool for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack.
- Cut some generous slices and enjoy plain or spread with some dairy free margarine.
For another easy and delicious loaf recipe, why don’t you try these mini muscovado madeira cakes? The perfect accompaniment to a nice cup of tea.
HAVE A HAPPY TUMMY DAY ?