Chocolate Chip Cookie Squares
These chocolate chip cookie squares are such gems. They have a really lovely, gooey softness to them and the chocolate chips make them taste so fab.
Chocolate chip cookies are always a favourite with little ones and can be enjoyed by grown ups too. Perfect for picnics, treats or simply enjoy a sneaky one with a nice, hot cuppa!
The recipe is very straightforward and it makes plenty so I tend to freeze half giving me a useful stash that I can then use at a later date. Alternatively, just halve the ingredients to make fewer cookies.
These chocolate chip cookie squares stay fresh for a few days in an airtight container but I’m sure they won’t last that long!
Gluten free. Dairy free. Soya free.
- 225g dairy free margarine
- 350g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain gluten free flour
- 200g spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g dark chocolate (dairy and soya free), roughly chopped
- 3 baking trays lined with greaseproof paper.
I’ve used half spelt flour and half gluten free plain flour in this recipe. Feel free to substitute the spelt flour for plain flour if preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Mix the margarine and sugar together in a bowl until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla extract and stir in well.
- Add the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Then stir in the chopped chocolate pieces and mix together thoroughly.
- Dollop the cookie dough on to the baking trays leaving gaps between each spoonful.
- As the dough is cooked, the mixture will spread and will form one large cookie.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the outside edges are browning slightly.
- Remove the trays from the oven.
- Lightly hold the greaseproof paper on each side and carefully lift the baked cookie mixture from the tray.
- Cut into squares and leave for a couple of minutes.
- Then use a spatula to lift each cookie square from the greaseproof paper on to a large cooling tray.
- Leave the cookies to cool down for 10 minutes. Within this time, they will harden up slightly.
Enjoy immediately. Store the remaining cookie squares in an airtight container and eat within the next few days.
HAVE A HAPPY TUMMY DAY ?